Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Dangerous statements

I am not a superstitious person. 
If a black cat crossed my path, I would probably pick her up and take her home.
(We have a black cat, actually. Fluffy spoiled furball thing).
I also really don't care if it's Friday the 13th. 
I'll be happy with the fact that the weekend is on and that's pretty much it. 
Anyway, you get my point.
That being said, Loud Baby does some pretty weird things. 
Well, one weird thing to be exact.
Whenever there is a difficult situation (longer car rides, bedtime routines etc.) and we make an observation about Loud Baby's good behaviour, she will begin crying that very instant.
If you don't believe me, you can ask Husband who is a scientist. 
He knows statistics and math and stuff. 
He is good with numbers.
He is freaked out.
I've decided to call these observations of positive conduct dangerous statements. 
A couple of examples:
Loud Baby needs to go to bed. I put her in her crib drowsy but awake (you know, the Big Sleep Book bla bla). 
I close the door. 
She makes one sound of protest.
I wait. And wait some more.
Minutes pass. 
Silence.
I finally decide to breathe and start happily thinking about a little "me" time. 
Hmm..what snack shall I make myself?
Husband  asks how it went with putting Loud Baby to bed.
"Quite well actually. She went down fast. No fuss".
Warning: Dangerous Sentence has been uttered. Activate Loud Crying Sequence. 
In other words, the minute I said what I said, she cries. 

It happens ALL the time. 
"Oh look, how well she's taking the car ride".
WAAAH!
"She's so peaceful today. Playing by herself. No trouble at all".
WAAAH!
"The baby's been asleep for almost 2 hours now. I will go lie down for a sec".
WAAAH! 
"The baby just fell asleep. Quick, I'll lie down for a sec".
WAAAH!

Yep, some of these dangerous sentences are only my thoughts. 
Not really uttered to anyone.
It doesn't matter, they still work. Spooky.

Most recent example:
Loud Baby is teething so she keeps waking up at night. 
After a couple of awakenings,I decide to give her a bit of Tylenol. 
I measure the dose and head to her room.
Silence.
I am afraid to think. 
I'll just wait. 
Still quiet.
An hour passes, I get busy with stuff but as I am going into the kitchen I notice the dispenser with the medicine on the counter. The Tylenol bottle right next to it.
I decide to put the little dose back into the bottle since Loud Baby didn't need it tonight.
I twist the cap on, thinking: "She is definitely asleep now. It's been more than an hour since her last awakening. Wait...I am thinking this now and...Nah, let's not go down crazy lane".

WAAAAH!

Sigh. Husband says we should do this within controlled circumstances. 
I am pretty sure it would not work then.
But I would be willing to give it a try!

Hugs,
Crazy Lady



No comments:

Post a Comment