Saturday, April 12, 2014

Breastfeeding blues

Loud Baby is still nursing. She's been a good nurser from day one.

I was very much determined to breastfeed her from the beginning if I had the possibility. 

I took a course. 
I went for a breastfeeding session after she was born.

I was ... too  fierce in my determination. 

So fierce, in fact, that Loud Baby has never ever accepted a bottle with milk. 

Any kind of milk . 
Like "Oh I so hate this pumping thing that takes forever with a manual breast-pump and I can't do anything else because I need both my hands and it's also painful" kind of milk .

I wanted to wait long enough with the bottle so that she wouldn't get nipple confusion. 
Which is a thing. 
Which also is not a thing according to whatever source you are currently googling.

I might have waited too long. 
Not sure. 
Bottom line, she hated bottles. 
Any kind, from any one. 
Mommy, Daddy, Granma and daycare ladies. 

So breastfeeding it was. Is. Which is ok, mostly. I have long given up on relying on anyone to put Loud Baby to bed or help her go back to sleep at night. Yawn. 

The funny part is that after trying all the nursing positions described oh so easily and wisely by baby books (which I have come to hate with a passion- more on that some other time), it has become clear that we can only do it while lying down. 

Note: many books will say that if the mother is tired, the lying down nursing position is a very good option. 
%$^&* (Insert appropriate frustration expressing words here). A tired mother?  In the first months of  a newborn's life? Too tired to comment on that.

Anyway, the lying down thing is pretty great. Unless you are in the car. 
Or on a plane. 
Or basically not at home. 

We are presently in the nursing zumba stage of breastfeeding. Which means that while she is eating, Loud Baby will lift both her legs into the air, grab her feet with her tiny hands and do her little air dance of swinging and turning and bicycling. 

Sometimes she will accompany her aerobics with matching humming. 
Yes, while she is nursing. 

A nap at the end of the breastfeeding session?

Probably not this time.







No comments:

Post a Comment